Cookie Dough Cupcakes
I absolutely love to bake. It is a bit like therapy for me to me to create something that tastes amazing that people love to eat. And sweets are my favorite thing, especially cupcakes. Once upon a time, many years ago, I wanted to open a cupcake bakery. I had the name picked out and the menu designed but never found the courage to actually pull the trigger on the business. In addition, I was worried that something I love would turn into something I hate; so I have just tried to share goodies with people when I get the chance.
Hands down the most raved about cupcake I make is this chocolate chip cookie dough cupcake. I have been making it for years! My youngest daughter has asked them almost every year for her birthday for as long as I can remember. If I take them to an event, the container is always empty when I leave. I coordinated a prom with some other parents this year and the kids were coming up to me asking why I didn’t make these for their event. No biggie, just throw 100 together as we are decorating and everything else. Hahaha! Just trust me when I tell you, they are nothing short of amazing. And the best part? They aren’t even that hard to make!
I wish I could tell you that I created this recipe, but I didn’t. LOL! My best friend bought me a cookbook many years ago, and I have used it so much the binding is coming apart. If you don’t own Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor or The Cake Mix Doctor cookbooks already, I highly recommend that you buy them now! They are fabulous. Every single recipe I have ever made from them turns out and even better? They start with a cake mix….but no one else will ever know! Let them think you spent hours in the kitchen!
A word of warning, these cupcakes will disappear as fast as you make them. The center of the cupcake is cooked cookie dough, but since it is frozen, it has that slightly gooey center that is fabulous. If you really want to kick them up, warm them in the microwave for a few seconds. They are perfection. I would love to know if you try these cookie dough cupcakes and if you love them as much as my friends and family! Enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- 1 Yellow Cake Mix 15.25 oz
- 1 Vanilla Instant Pudding 3.4 oz box
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Package Frozen Cookie Dough 24 pre-measured cookies
Chocolate Buttercream Icing
- 2 Sticks Butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
Cookie Dough Cupcake Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners. Place cake mix, pudding, milk, oil, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and blend with an electric mixer for 3 minutes or until well mixed. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula periodically to ensure it is mixed well. (I use my KitchenAid stand mixer and I probably let it mix 5 minutes, I just really like it mixed really well, it is a thick batter.) Using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop the batter into the 24 paper liners. Take the frozen cookie dough and cut or break apart into the 24 cookies. Place the frozen cookie dough in the center of each liner filled with batter and push down until the edges are in the batter, but the top is not covered. Place the pans in the oven and bake for 23-25 minutes. Do not overcook. Remove from oven and cool completely.
Chocolate Buttercream Instructions
- Melt butter, add cocoa powder and mix well. Alternate adding powdered sugar and milk and mix well with an electric mixer. Add vanilla extract and blend well. Place icing in a piping bag and decorate cupcakes as desired.